Preparing to move to a new home is often a stressful and hard work…packing up all your belongings, clothes, wrapping fragile, precious items, and labeling endless boxes. While moving to a new home is never an easy process, it should be an exciting time and not something to dread. Take advantage of these time and effort saving tips to make your move easier. After all, when you move to a new WestBay home, we want you to feel comfortable as quickly and as easily as possible.
6 Tips Make Moving Easier
- Take Stock Before you Pack – Many movers make the mistake of moving EVERYTHING and then find that they have several items that they don’t need or don’t look great in their new dream home. Take a good look around your home and decide what needs to go to your new home and what you can let go. Make a list and take inventory of all your belongings. Consider where you are moving, how much space you have and what will look fabulous in your new space. Now, mark off the items that you don’t need to take with you.
- Sell or Donate – before you move EVERYTHING, take a look at your list of possessions and determine what needs to go. Plan a yard sale a couple of weeks before your move date and sell off as much as you can. Place an ad on Craig’s List, EBay or some other similar site to sell off larger, more valuable items. Anything left over after this process should be donated to a charity such as Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Go through your clothes also and decide what to keep and what to give away. It will cost you less to rid yourself of the clutter in advance.
- Make a Packing System – think ahead of what items belong together and what will be in each room of the house. Many people make the mistake of packing a box mostly full and then stuffing in one last item that fits rather than strategically keeping everything together that belongs together. Also, don’t over pack the boxes with heavy items, it is better to use more boxes than risk damage to the items inside. Most importantly, make sure to label each box correctly so it is easier to unpack on the other end of the move.
- Hire Professional Movers – even if you own a pick-up truck and have lots of friends handy, consider hiring the professionals. It is tempting to save the money by moving yourself but between the hassles and backaches, it is possible you could do more damage than it will cost to hire the professionals. Be sure to check reviews before hiring a moving company. Most companies are reputable but you want to be sure to choose wisely and probably not choose a company that offers rock bottom prices. This investment will pay off in terms of having everything arrive timely and in good shape (and avoiding damage to your existing home as large pieces are moved out of the house).
- Keep Essential items Separate – before you start to pack, make a list of everything you’ll need for a couple of days during the moving period. This means that you should keep aside a suitcase of clothes for each member of the family. Make sure that you have enough cookware and silverware so you can eat at home and keep all essential items out and available (for example, medicines, cosmetics, toothbrushes, etc.). Don’t wait till the day the movers arrive to find out you don’t have a bowl for your cereal!
- Unpack Strategically in your New Space – the two most important rooms to unpack are the kitchen and the bedroom. These are the two places where you spend the most time so before you start decorating your living room and lanai, make sure you have a place to sleep and a place to eat. The rest of the unpacking can then be done with far less stress.
Hopefully, these tips will help you move into your new Homes by WestBay house and get comfortable in no time.